Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Letter from the homestead - Jan. 31, 1910

Tezarton Mon. 12-30 Jan. 31st 1910

My Dear Mrs. F.

This is the last day of Jan. and a very lovely day it is too, calm and warm, the snow is melting and was melting yesterday too. If the weather at the Mound hasn’t changed for the better before this you had better just leave there and join me here where you would be delighted with our genial climate. I finished my lasts letter to you in a great hurry. I am in the same position to-day. Willie Cleyhorne has just dropped in to see us and to tell us that Cairns are going out to the Front (Rosetown) as Malcolm calls it to-morrow morning. Willie is going to take this over to Cairns’ just as soon as I can get through with it. On that account I am not writing you but a very short epistle this time. Cairns are going to draw out their grain right away so we can get a good chance to post our letters while they are at the hauling.

Rosetown, ca. 1912  (photo courtesy Rosetown Centennial Library Archive)
Howard had Malcolm’s buggy. He looks after McK’s driving team while Archie and his father are at the Front. 5 weeks yesterday since the father went out. I still stick to my homestead yet, haven’t been at any of the shacks since I started in my own. After this thaw we’ll have a little better walking in the snow and then I’ll visit around more. I think I told you that I had a standing invitation to go to Mr. Maguire’s early some day for the mail and have dinner with them and another good chat. I had a good walk again over the hills on Saturday. I was out for 3 hours. My legs didn’t feel tired either. The walking is better than when I went for the mail some time ago.

Doug had quite a washing on Sat. when I was away. It doesn’t look too bad either. He dried them in the house. We have no line outside yet. Some of these days the clothes would dry nicely in the open air. Peter wrote yesterday two letters one to Dau. Fraser and a very long one to Paul Powell. He said that ordered a broom for me at Daus for my reception there when on my way home. But Peter said he wouldn’t pay for it beforehand for fear I might be too home sick to stay off there. However I think I’ll try it anyway and risk the home sickness. Willie has sent home for one of his brothers to come out. If he thinks of coming he’ll likely be here in about 2 months. There is a homestead near Willie’s I think can be cancelled then, and naturally he would like to get it for his brother, hope he may. Stan is looking up one for his father too. I think likely he’ll go to Saskatoon this week or next.

Peter and Willie are talking so that it is very hard for me to collect my thoughts. I think I’ll better just sign off and leave the rest for a few days longer. I like better to write after I get a letter from home as then I have a chance to answer.

Doug is away over to Stan’s for a screwdriver to put a latch on our door. Peter put on the latch to-day we have had nothing but two buttons, so far. The boys tell me to-day that some man has bought six sections of land near McKellar’s and is coming in next spring with a big gasoline outfit to work half of it and he intends to let the working of the other half. It looks as if there would be something doing here next summer. I shall now bid you a kind good bye. Give my kindest fond wishes to all inquiring friends. I’ll not detain Willie any longer. It was hardly worth while detaining him at all for this short scribble.

Your dearest husband
D. Fraser